Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Diffraction losses

  1. #1
    Inactive Member acre's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 8th, 2003
    Posts
    80
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi all and happy New Year!

    I'm designing a new set of speakers using the Eminence Kappa Pro 15 LF-2 as a replacement to my 416 8-A's. (One has a severe rub in the voice coil and they both suffer from very weak spiders. I may get them re-done some day.)

    My intention is to build the LF cabinets and mount the 811B horn on top for phase adjustment. I'm using the 800 Hz X-over.

    I was thinking of buiding 4 Ft3 boxes as per Eminence specs and use the Golden rule for dimensions. What I wish to do is minimize the 6 db diffraction losses using mechanical methods instead of electronic, as this would eliminate the Altec x-over. Mounting the LF driver off-center, adding wings and placing the boxes close to walls are but a few ideas I've read. Any other ideas? I know the smaller the baffle the higher the frequency break point at which losses occur. Thanks....Lee

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Diffraction losses


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    If you haven't bought the Kappa pro's yet, take a look at the Kappalite. IMHO a superior speaker.

    I have a friend who owns a music store, helped him evaluate some drivers. IMHO the Kappalite just plain sounded better. Your mileage may vary, and all that.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member acre's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 8th, 2003
    Posts
    80
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks Old Guy!

    I did buy these about a year ago and they were recommended by the Senior Lab dude at Eminence. They actually sound pretty good but I've modelled much smaller cabinets than the ones I built a year ago and the response is virtually the same from a ported 10 ft3 as a 4 ft3 box.

    Any thoughts on diffraction losses? Thanks...Lee

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    How will accounting for BS obviate the need for a XO?

    Anyway, not really other than making a huge BLH like the old Jensen Imperial.

    GM

  5. #5
    Inactive Member acre's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 8th, 2003
    Posts
    80
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi GM!

    Right, the electronic compensation would be in addition to any x-over. I read that wrong. Other than horn loading the LF unit, my other ideas are o.k.? Thanks........Lee

  6. #6
    Inactive Member acre's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 8th, 2003
    Posts
    80
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Here's a pic of the existing 10 ft3 box. Note the LeSon tweeter in the upper right of the cabinet. Very sweet sounding cabinet. The LF is the Eminence Kappa Pro LF-2.
    Regards.........Lee

    ?actionview?tEminence

  7. #7
    Inactive Member acre's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 8th, 2003
    Posts
    80
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Pic didn't work. How come?

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Sounder's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 5th, 2006
    Posts
    83
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I see no pic either.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    Good Q and since I need a place to host sims, went ahead and joined to see what's what, so let's see how well these work:

    http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...Onkenwith6.jpg

    Altec414 8CinPetiteOnkenwith6

    GM

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    OK, both the copied/pasted 'URL' and 'img' link worked, so not sure why yours had some extra symbols in the link, though once these are deleted it works fine.............

    original:

    http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=Eminence.jpg

    minus the ?action=view%A4t= programming:

    http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p...6/Eminence.jpg

    .........and if I add 'img' tags:

    Eminence

    GM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.